Politics

Ekiti rejects TCN’s two-month energy outage plan

The Ekiti State Government has rejected the deliberate energy outage for 2 months—July and August.

Benin Electricity Distribution Company, earlier in a round, knowledgeable the general public, particularly its clients in Ekiti and neighbouring Ondo State, of this plan.

However, Ekiti, opposing the transfer, said that it quantities to an “unacceptable economic, financial, and social price to be paid by the citizens of the state.”

The authorities requested for the suspension of such a plan and demanded an emergency assembly with the stakeholders affected, scheduled for Tuesday, July 2 on the Ekiti State Government Secretariat.

The BEDC had, in a public discover aired on radio and different social media platforms, introduced the deliberate outage for sure intervals in July and August, PUNCH Online reported. https://punchng.com/ondo-ekiti-to-witness-two-month-power-outage/

TCN introduced its plans to hold out crucial upkeep work on the 132 kV Akure-Osogbo transmission line.

Meanwhile, in a letter written by the state Commissioner for Public Utility, Mobolaji Aluko, to the MD/CEO, Transmission Company of Nigeria, Abuja, the MD/CEO, Benin Electricity Distribution Company, Benin-City, and the Chairman, Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Company, Abuja, dated June 30, he mentioned no direct notification or communication was made to the state authorities.

The letter was titled “Re: Notification of Power Disruption/Outage in Ado-Ekiti and Akure for two months (July, August 2024).”

“The planned disruption of electricity in these two months amounts to an unacceptable economic, financial, and social price to be paid by the citizens of Ekiti State, and we totally reject such a plan,” the commissioner mentioned.

Reiterating that the state authorities just isn’t conscious, the commissioner said that the federal government’s approval was additionally not sought.

It learn additional, “Our consideration has been referred to as to public notifications, each in print and in jingles in English and in Yoruba, of the intention of BEDC, below recommendation by TCN, to disrupt energy provide to the transmission stations in Akure and Ado-Ekiti with the impact of adversely affecting Ekiti and Ondo State areas for 9 hours every day (8am to 5pm) from July 1 to August 31, 2024.

Related News

“No direct notification/communication was made to the Ekiti State Ministry of Infrastructure and Public Utilities (MIPU) on this matter, nor was approval sought and obtained from the Ekiti State Electricity Regulatory Bureau (EKSERB), saddled by regulation with the total authority to control the electrical energy trade in Ekiti State.

“The planned disruption of electricity for three-eighths of each day for sixty-two days, amounting to five hundred and fifty-eight hours (558) total and twenty-three days of outage in these two months amounts to an unacceptable economic, financial, and social price to be paid by the citizens of Ekiti State, and we totally reject such a plan.”

The commissioner requested for an “instant suspension of the plan and referred to as for an emergency assembly with the regional heads of TCN, BEDC, and NERC.

“The meeting is slated for Tuesday, July 2, in the commissioner’s office at the Government Secretariat, Ado-Ekiti.”

This is as he opined that the assembly will give room for a greater various.

Aluko mentioned, “The meeting would help all stakeholders devise an alternative and far less adverse plan to achieve the same stated aims.”

The TCN had introduced that it deliberate “to carry out critical maintenance work on the 132KV Akure Osogbo transmission line and also install Optical Ground Wire (OPGW), among other activities.”

“We request prompt attention to this matter while we are eager to work collaboratively towards a sustainable solution that will benefit both citizens of the state and the Ekiti State Electricity Supply Industry. In the time being, accept our highest regards,” the letter said.

“Customers in the affected areas will experience service interruptions during the period of the planned outages. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and kindly solicit your patience and understanding,” the TCN’s discover learn.

Meanwhile, some electrical energy customers in Ekiti State have described the deliberate outage as unacceptable and a disincentive.

Source

Co-editor

About Author

You may also like

Politics

Protesting Zamfara neighborhood barricades Govt House, faults troops withdrawal

There was tension in Gusau, the Zamfara State capital on Sunday, as residents of Bini village in the Maru Local
Politics

How to spice up your checking account, cellular pockets safety

Cybercriminals are constantly devising new ways to exploit vulnerabilities and steal sensitive information. DANIEL ADAJI outlines ways to safeguard your