Protesting Zamfara neighborhood barricades Govt House, faults troops withdrawal

There was pressure in Gusau, the Zamfara State capital on Sunday, as residents of Bini village within the Maru Local Government Area blocked the state  Government House.

The villagers stated they have been protesting in opposition to the withdrawal of safety personnel from their village amid incessant assaults by bandits.

The villagers, who have been in massive numbers, blocked the principle gate of the Government House, insisting they might not depart until the troopers have been deployed to their neighborhood.

The tense scenario grounded vehicular actions across the authorities home because the protesters occupied the foremost roads by sitting on the bottom.

The chief of the protesters, who gave his title as Sani Aliyu, stated bandits have been presently of their village, working freely as there have been no safety personnel to confront them.

According to him, the navy personnel, who have been earlier despatched to the village to struggle the bandits, have been later withdrawn.

He stated bandits had nearly taken over the complete neighborhood.

“Most of the villagers have fled to different locations each inside and outdoors the state.

“We reported to the authorities about the critical situation we are in, but no action was taken, as such, we are not going anywhere. We will continue to be here until the state government mobilises security personnel to our village to protect us,” Aliyu stated.

Another resident, Mallam Umar Salisu, confirmed to the News Agency of Nigeria that they needed to flee from the neighborhood following the withdrawal of navy personnel from the world.

“Before now, there have been navy personnel connected to our village. Some of them have been killed by bandits whereas some have been withdrawn on Sunday.

“There are not any safety personnel in our space now. That is why we determined to hold all our wives and youngsters to return to Government House and search for presidency’s intervention,’’ Salisu stated.

Related News

Another fleeing neighborhood member, Hajia Aisha Usman, expressed displeasure on the situation of the folks of the neighborhood.

“We are extremely disturbed. We obtain threats of assaults from bandits each day.

“There are not any safety personnel to guard us. We are searching for for presidency’s intervention,’’ she stated.

Yet one other neighborhood member, Malam Wakkala Gurgu stated: “We determined to return to Government House to tell the federal government about safety threats in our neighborhood.

“We need the federal government to take fast motion as regards the safety scenario. Bandits are presently in our communities.

“We need authorities to assist us and deploy safety personnel to our space,’’ Gurgu stated.

Addressing the protesters on behalf of the state authorities, the Commissioner for Education, Wadatau Madawaki, sympathised with them and counseled them for the maturity they exhibited through the demonstration.

The commissioner stated, “The bandits have been on the rampage lately in an effort to power the state authorities to have a dialogue with them.

“Governor Dauda Lawal has since the day he assumed office made it clear that he would not reconcile with the bandits but will continue to fight them until they surrender.”

The commissioner stated the state authorities had directed the navy to deploy its personnel to the village with out additional delay.

“I wish to, on behalf of the state authorities sympathise with you on the scenario you discover yourselves.

“The state government has directed the military to escort you back to your village and they will remain there until the situation improves,” he stated.



About Author

You may also like


How to spice up your checking account, cellular pockets safety

Cybercriminals are constantly devising new ways to exploit vulnerabilities and steal sensitive information. DANIEL ADAJI outlines ways to safeguard your

Gunmen kill one, injure two Ogun chiefs

Some gunmen reportedly killed one person and injured two local chiefs in a Thursday afternoon attack on the Oluke community